Sunday, March 14, 2010

Rocking

Sorry for the lack of posts lately. I've been busy at work trying to finish the yearbook and the girls have been sick (they both have double ear infections, a first). All that means I've been exhausted.

I sat in the girls dark room this evening rocking S and thinking. She has a difficult time falling asleep because she loves to be involved in everything. As I rocked her back and forth I thought about how different this was. I've rocked many babies to sleep. I was the go to babysitter on my street growing up and I loved the job. I've baby sat for little babies and older kids, some of them are very much like my own siblings. But as I rocked my own baby it was different.

I held her in the crook of my arm and she snuggled her face against my chest. I rocked back and forth and held her tiny hand wrapped around my finger. I listened to her sister breathing in the crib near us. And I enjoyed it. Soaking up every second of holding her. Breathing her in and kissing her head. Singing to her and thinking about the person she will grow up to be. Savoring it all because soon I will not be able to rock her to sleep. But that short period of time that she snuggled into me and I held her while she slept, that moment will be mine always.

No comments:

Post a Comment